APELEON engineers an electric vertical take-off and landing aircraft that revolutionises how we access rural areas.
Ground-based transport can no longer keep up: traffic-infrastructure is incredibly costly, causes land and forest damage and is no longer scalable. Our fast-flying vehicle requires significantly less infrastructure and bypasses the dense inbound and outbound traffic in large cities and their suburbs using direct air routes. We shape a viable option for remote areas to the mobility mix. Spend less time travelling and focus on the important things in life.
Our eVTOL Aircraft.
Our aircraft combines the advantages of an airplane with those of a helicopter, a planecopter. The novel air vehicle can take off and land vertically and convinces with exceptional cruise performance and a simple and sleek design.
Independent and electrically driven ducted fans allow vertical take-off and landing. In cruise, some propulsion units create forward thrust, and pronounced wings generate aerodynamic lift. Our rotors operate in a protective duct, which increases safety, simplifies on and near ground operation and reduces noise emission. The aircraft is intended for commercial operation – which is why we set a strong focus on low operating costs.
- SAFE – Our aircraft concept is based on common aerospace standards. With no critical single point of failure, it’s capable of continued safe flight and landing.
- EFFICIENT – The aircraft’s streamlined body, with highly efficient wings and propulsion system, results in good mission range and enables incredibly low energy consumption.
- SIMPLE – The aircraft design truly keeps things simple. We’ve trimmed mass, and part counts, down to what matters – keeping maintenance costs low and making mass production more effortless.
Mobility is a human need. The time that a person is willing to spend a day on journeys has always remained the same in history, but the distance that has been covered has grown steadily due to technical progress. The demand of people to be mobile will continue to grow and thus it is our responsibility to work on innovative solutions to enable sustainable mobility solutions and protect our environment.
Today, a conventional helicopter is the only vertical take-off and landing aircraft that can be used for regional transportation without the need for massive infrastructure, but due to its architecture it is very inefficient in cruise flight and is therefore not suitable for longer distances. In addition, the use of conventional combustion machines is not environmentally friendly.
Our aircraft concept gives rise to a sustainable mobility solution and contributes to the achievement of international climate goals.
- Vehicle Choice – A variety of transportation methods are the key to sustainable mobility. Our aircraft is best used for connecting remote areas to destinations that are several dozen kilometres away – decreasing the need for infrastructure.
- Energy Efficiency – New vehicles must double their energy efficiency by 2030 to achieve international climate goals. Our aircraft engineering allows much higher energy efficiency rates in cruise flight compared to a multicopter or helicopter.
- Clean Technology – Recent advancements in propulsion and energy technology allow us to use electric propulsion systems and modern energy storage systems like batteries or fuel cells. We can fly without CO2 emissions on-board.
The Austrian Start-Up, VOLARE GmbH, based on the outskirts of Vienna, develops a disruptive vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) aircraft under the registered trademark APELEON.
Our team consists of experienced engineers with a strong background in the aerospace industry as well as young talents who recently finished university. This solid engineering expertise combined with dynamic and creative spirit allows to further develop the best solutions in our cross-disciplinary tasks. The team has several years of experience in the aviation industry under their belt and has worked on well-known aircraft like Airbus A380, Boeing B787, Eurocopter EC135 or even special projects like Solar Impulse.
We have been working on and successfully built demonstrators in various scales to test and evaluate the functionality and safety of our aircraft concept. With our half-scale technology demonstrator we successfully performed several flight test campaigns in 2021. Watch a short flight-test video here. Our next milestone is a full-scale prototype.